After spending a full day off of social media, the Hubby and I got to watch AFN’s (Armed Forces Network) replay of the 2014 Oscars. I’ve been watching the Oscars ever since mom and dad let me stay up when E.T. was nominated for Best Picture (ok, I am dating myself), but the point is, it’s an annual tradition. As an actor, I have a special appreciation for all the work it takes to put a production together, plus the training and focus needed to create a memorable character.
But who are we kidding? We also watch the Oscars for the fashion! So, here are the looks that caught my attention:
1. Meryl Streep. Her look is getting mixed reviews, but I love it. She knows who she is, and knows that she is not a mermaid gown/rhinestone/corset kind of gal. She likes to keep her look simple and refined, plus she dresses right for a woman who is in her 60s, yet she looks sexy. Meryl can do no wrong in my book!
2. Sandra Bullock. This is how 49 is done. She is in fantastic shape and looks gorgeous in this Alexander McQueen gown. She is another woman who looks completely comfortable in her skin, and her acting chops are so spot on (her moment in Gravity when she talks about the death of her daughter got to me). I want to be her when I grow up.
3. Cate Blanchett. She wowed me in this Giorgio Armani gown. Jokingly, she told Ryan Seacrest that it was “heavy, but I love it!” I haven’t seen Blue Jasmine yet, but I know she must be amazing. She is the heir apparent to Meryl Streep.
4. Angelina Jolie. I was happy to see her in a color besides black, which tends to be her signature. She looked amazing; glowing, even. This Elie Saab gown brought out a joyful and serene side that we don’t get to see from her very often. Congrats to her on her Humanitarian Oscar as well!
5. Jennifer Garner. A mom, actress, and wife to Ben Affleck has got it going on in her Oscar de la Renta fringe dress. I chose this pic to show off the great movement! I like how she kept the rest of her look simple and polished.
6. I also loved Lupita Nyong’o’s Prada dress. She broke my heart in 12 Years a Slave, and she definitely stole hearts with her beautiful Oscar acceptance speech! I just wish I could carry off a plunging neckline. However, this look is not for the busty girl!
Ok…so a few looks I was not nuts about. Basically, whenever an actor is trying too hard with fashion, it just looks wrong. I know this is typically a stylist’s fault, but the actor has the final say (I would think!).
This is not to bash the actors ( a la Fashion Police -I’ll leave that to Joan & Co.), just some things to consider when dressing.
Julia Roberts – there is something kind of cheap looking about this lace overlay. I’m sure it’s not, but it’s the applique in the center that’s throwing it off.
Anna Kendrick. She’s very talented, but it seems that every time she is at an event, she’s wearing something that doesn’t bring her out. The dresses usually wear her, not the other way around.
Liza! She is a legend, and the ultimate entertainer. But for someone who still has celebrated legs in her late 60s, I have no idea what is going on here. Plus, her blue streaks are just saying “trying to be hip.”
Finally – I did not love Charlize Theron’s Dior gown. It looked heavy and too severe, plus the top of the bodice seems very uncomfortable with the points! She is a stunning woman, but not a fan of this dress.
Overall, as someone who loves wearing black, many of the black dresses this year just did not work!
Here’s the closest I’ll get to an Oscar – my 2013 win for Best Actress in a Comedy at the TOPPERS (military community theatre awards)
What were YOUR favorites? Dresses that dulled you? Let me know!
Love, laughter, and shoes!